What is a nursing home?
What were traditionally known as Nursing Homes are now officially called Care Homes with Nursing. These are residential settings where older people live together to receive a range of care and support. The main difference between Care Homes and Care Homes with Nursing is a registered nurse on duty 24-Hours a day.
Do you need a Care Home with Nursing?
Care Homes with Nursing often have more equipment than residential homes because they look after residents with more complex needs. When considering which type of home you may need, those with the most complex needs choose generally Care Homes with Nursing. This is because Care Homes with Nursing are more expensive and the other residents also have greater needs.
In many cases, if there is no current or expected clinical nursing need there is no need to choose a Care Home with Nursing. A Residential Home may be able to meet all of your needs. But if such a clinical need does exist it is important that you do choose a Care Home with Nursing. When you visit a Residential Home they should advise you if this is the case.
Care Home with Nursing will have the following:
- A Home Manager to support you and manage all of the other services
- A Nursing Team to support the carers in looking after the residents
- A Care Team, they will support the residents with all of their care needs, medication and other daily needs.
- An activity team to keep the residents active to help keep them stay happy and healthy
- A catering team to produce home cooked food
- A housekeeping team to ensure that the home is clean, comfortable and fresh smelling
- A laundry team to ensure the resident’s clothes and the home’s linen is always clean, fresh and ironed
- A maintenance team to keep the building safe and do odd jobs for the residents
Still unsure about which type of care is best for you?
Search for your closest Greensleeves Care home, give them a call and speak to the Manager. They will be delighted to give you some impartial advice based upon your unique circumstances.
Remember we are a charity we do not worry about making a profit but we do worry about making a difference. You can rely on us to do our best to help.